In the fourth of our Meet the Team series, we are pleased, nay honoured, to welcome Lee Coaton onto the questionnaire podium, manager of our Cambridge shop.
Fudge ’Firsts’ ..
Not quite as old (by around 555 years) as the glorious Kings College that it faces, the Cambridge Fudge Kitchen has nevertheless played a critical role in educating hoards of highly respected Fudgeologists over the last 20 years.
It has also been the scene of groundbreaking research, with the development of Fudge Kitchen’s best selling Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt (a suggestion by a regular student customer). And often turns out two 10kg batches per day of this marvelous, creamy elixir. Plus it is the site of life-changing inventions, such as Fudge Friday, the fudge fiend’s Sabbath, when loyalty cards are double stamped!
Famous fudgers …
Aside from fuelling some of the world’s finest brains with exam-cram energy, Cambridge FK is also quite the place for some celeb spotting, with Carol Vorderman, Simon Amstel and Clare Baldwin all filling their fudge boots there; as well as one Ronnie O’Sulivan, who particularly won Lee over, “He was awesome and I offered him a job when he retires from his snooker career. So waiting for the call.”
Eat Sleep Fudge Repeat …
Lee has been Cambridge manager for eight years and runs a tight ship, manfully supported by Beau, CJ, Dan, Rayman, Peter, Joe and Isaac; for which they were awarded the coveted Absolute Brick Award at the annual Fudge Conference this year. “I still love making fudge and am in my 12th year!” admits Lee, “I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t make fudge – it’s a way of life for me now. Eat Sleep Fudge Repeat.”
- How long have you worked at FK? Since 2005, so 11 – 12 years. Oh my, is it really that long!?!
- Favourite flavour? Dark Choc and Sea Salt is the greatest flavour ever!
- Favourite FK product? Peanut Brittle. Its yummo!
- What do you like about your job? Lots of stuff. I get to talk to people from all over the world, have a laugh and make some fudge; plus all the team are fun. Apart from the hairy one. He’s weird!
- Tell us something that might surprise us about you? Well, when I’m not making fudge I am training for the Mexican Arm Wrestling Championships and I also collect retro computer games, cus I’m a nerd.
- What’s one thing you couldn’t live without? Beer
- What kind of music do you listen to? Gabba Techno in the morning and any 80s music at night.
- What’s your favourite TV programme? Bergerac
- If you had to eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? Homemade curry
- Dog or cat person? Dogs are way better
- Motto or Personal Mantra: Good job
- How long is a piece of string? I dunno
- If you could sell fudge to any person alive or dead who would it be? Jesus. The geezer out them books.
What is the most overrated film of all time? Dunno. Harry Potter? I coulda wrote that.
- Star Wars or Star Trek? Star Wars obviously, Star Trek’s crap.
- In the event of a zombie apocalypse where would you run to and what would be your weapon of choice? Pub and a potato peeler
- Who would play you in a film of your life? Brad Pitt, cus he’s nearly as handsome as me or if he was unavailable, it would have to be The Rock. Roughly the same build!
- Best chat up line for Valentine’s Day? Bit out of practice for this one, I’m afraid. Luckily enough, being a fudge maker gets you all the women throwing themselves at you. Drives me mad. Valentine’s day is worst as it takes me a hour to shovel all the cards blocking the front door.